This is the work of a Year 5 (UK) child showing how to present his thoughts in pictorial form and in abstract computation format.
His thoughts in steps:
- Drew 8 units to represent 1 kg. (8 units taken from the denominator of 5/8 kg)
- Labelled all 8 units to 1 kg.
- Labelled 5 units to represent 5/8 kg of tomatoes.
- Out of that 5 units, labelled 2 units in white and wrote ‘r’ to represent rotten tomatoes.
- Out of that 5 units, labelled 3 units in black and wrote ‘f’ to represent fresh tomatoes.
- Write the answer 3/8 kg by counting the number of units representing fresh tomatoes, out of, the total number of units representing 1 kg.
- To double check, did working 3/5 x 5/8